Monday, February 20, 2012

Happy Birthday, Mr. President


A pretty vintage postcard I found online.


President's Day is a great time to remind everyone of what wonderful leaders we've had in America and reflect on history. They always have special little lessons at school especially the primary grades. As I think about this I chuckle. Not to be disrespectful. But, because BOTH of my sons (6 1/2 years apart age wise) tried to chop down a tree in my yard after hearing the "George Washington chopped down the cherry tree and could not tell a lie story."  This story whether historically accurate or not almost cost me TWO trees!! Both were caught in action and of course, did not tell a lie when confronted.

 I found some fun facts to share about two of our most loved forefathers, General George and Honest Abe. (Most of these came from Wikipedia and other such pages.) Hope you enjoy.

General George Washington (preferred this name to President)

When Washington Crossed the Delaware: A Wintertime Story for Young Patriots
A favorite Christmas story in our home is :
When Washington Crossed the Delaware by Lynne Cheney (wife of former VP Dick Cheney) She has written several wonderful children's books.
  • Was considered a promising student. Taught business forms in school at age 9. (I like the thought of this because I think we should at the very least teach every child in public school how to balance a check book!!)
  • The Gregorian Calendar that we use today was adopted during his lifetime.
  • He was about 6'3"
  • RED HAIR!!! (That surprised me.) Did not wear a wig but powdered his hair.
  • He took his presidential oath on a Masonic Bible.
  • He helped lay the cornerstone of the Capitol Building as mason
  • One of his favorite horses was named-Nelson

"I can only say that there is not a man living who wishes more sincerely than I do to see a plan adopted for the abolition of slavery."~George Washington


President Abraham Lincoln

  • He was Republican
  • Born on Sinking Spring Farm in Hardin, KY
  • Was considered lazy by some because he didn't like farm labor. (This gave me hope for my boys. ;-))
  • Mostly self educated and loved to read
  • Later became an avid axeman and fence builder
  • Owned a general store
  • Was County Postmaster
  • Became a Lawyer teaching himself and studying alone
  • Like General Washington one of his early careers was as county surveyor. Interesting common thread I thought.
"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them? " ~ Abraham Lincoln

Here's a link to some cute president's day craft activities to do with the kids:
Pretzel Log Cabinhttp://holidays.kaboose.com/presidents-day/presidents-day.html
Powdered Wig

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment